Friday 17 April 2015

Q & A with J.A. Kenney


Silver Strife (Immortal Quicksilver #1)
by J.A. Kenney


Life . . . Death . . . Rebirth

Quicksilver is an ancient immortal warrior. One of a group of alien beings that were once pure energy, living in the void between galaxies, and who have taken mortal form to influence history.
The Purists, compelled by a zealot prophet, are immortal extremists who will use any means at their disposal to wipe out all mortal life. Qui and her Conservationist brethren have spent millions of years fighting for their survival.
In Silver Strife, Quicksilver has been reincarnated on an Earth devastated by centuries of planet-wide civil war. She awakens in the body of a human Elite named Lini: one of a race of superhumans, bred and trained by a Purist-led government to massacre the remnants of humanity. Quicksilver joins the rebel forces, despite their reluctance to trust a hated Elite, determined to take down the brutal dictatorship that has decimated the human race.
From their first meeting, she is drawn to Captain David Mitchell, the rebel officer who aided her escape from the Elite’s gilded cage. Even after swearing to never love again when her last mortal lover was killed saving her life, she finds herself falling for the honorable and driven soldier.
When Quicksilver crosses the path of an immortal ally on a top-secret mission behind enemy lines, a decision is forced upon her. She must choose between the fate of the human rebels, her mortal lover, and fulfilling her Conservationist oath to protect all mortal life. 
Paperback, First Edition, 298 pages
Published June 21st 2014 by Bottom Drawer Publications



J.A. Kenney lives in Aurora, Colorado, with a breathtaking view of the Rocky Mountains. In the winter, when the sky is clear, and if she stands on her tiptoes in exactly the right spot.

Three cats, a Chihuahua mix who thinks she is a Mastiff, and her beloved husband share her humble abode.

She has been writing since she found out that playing alien witches was more fun than tag. Her stories are a blend of science fiction, fantasy, and romance with strong female protagonists.

When she is not writing she reads voraciously, sings, skis, rides her Harley, and grudgingly assists with home improvement projects.

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8191616.J_A_Kenney
Website:  http://jakenney.com/
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/JennyAKenney



Q & A with J.A. Kenney

Q:  Tell us a little bit about your main characters.
Quicksilver is the primary focus of the entire Immortal Quicksilver series. The immortals are an energy based life form who in their natural state have neither physical form nor gender. In Silver Strife, Quicksilver is reborn as a member of the ruling caste in a post-apocalyptic future. She is the ultimate rebel, willing to do almost anything to save the mortals she is sworn to protect.

Captain David Mitchell is a soldier to the core. Born in a rebel compound outside of the control of the highly regulated and oppressive Union government. He joined the military branch of the Resistance at thirteen, and has been fighting ever since. He is knight in tattered camouflage, sworn to defend the civilians under his protection, and the men under his command.

Q:  Who designs the covers for your books and what is that process like for you as an author?
The covers for Silver Strife and Slivers of Silver were both designed through my publisher Bottom Drawer Publications. I did have a great deal of creative input into the final covers as well as the overall look and feel of the series. The process involved a lot of give and take, but was quite enjoyable. I have an alternative cover for Silver Strife that I designed with Atomic Fly Studios http://www.atomicflystudios.com who also designed my author logos.

Q:  Describe your ideal writing spot.
Curled up in a big comfy chair with my laptop and music playing in the background. What type of music, depends on what I'm writing.

Q:  What is the best advice you have been given?
Just write. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so when I first started writing I would get caught on a single paragraph for days, editing and revising just a few words over and over. While editing is a vital step, in my experience, obsessing over a few words does more harm than good.

Q:  As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I always wanted to do something creative. When I was very young I wanted to be a singer, actor, and dancer in musical theater. Later I did a lot of sculpting and photography. Finally, I sat down to write my first fiction project and discovered it was the perfect mix of my love of books, and my desire to create and entertain.

Q:  Which do you prefer: hard/paperbacks or ebooks?
For YEARS I refused to buy e-books, convinced I would miss the smell, even the feel of real paper. I have shelves full of both hardcover and paperback books to this day. However, a few years ago I caved a bought a kindle to gain access to books that were only published in that format. Now, I buy all my books in ebook form. The instant gratification and increase in my reading options changed my mind within weeks. I have nearly three thousand titles in my Kindle library now!

Q:  If you could be any paranormal creature, what would you choose to be and why?
I'm finishing up a vampire paranormal so that is very much on my mind. However, I am torn between vampire and cat shifter. I've always been fascinated by vampire myth and legend, but big cats have always been my favorite group of wild animals.

In the end, I would have to go big cat shifter, probably a cougar or mountain lion. They are strong, fast, beautiful animals who are free to roam in the mountains and open spaces.

Q:  What book are you reading now?
I just dove into The Wolf Within by Cynthia Eden, after finishing an ARC of The Scandalous Secret of Abigail MacGregor by Paula Quinn. Probably will start into Chained by Night by Larissa Ione tomorrow or the next day. I average about five novels a week in my free time


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for Featuring Silver Strife! All the info about me, my books, and my future projects is available http://jakenney.com

    ReplyDelete