Monday 5 May 2014

The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley

The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom WindowThe Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I really wanted to like this book. The story had so much potential, and there was a sweetness about it that made me sad to give it only 2 stars. However, in the end there were things I just couldn't get past.

First, though, what I liked. I loved the idea behind this story. A young troubled girl with a protector who grows up to be her possible fairytale ending? Priceless. There were many moments between Liam and Amber that were fabulous. When they were alone, they were a lot of fun together. I think this could have been a wonderful story with the proper execution.

As it was, I felt the storyline and the characterization didn't go together. I found the characters very hard to connect with. Amber was very, very immature, even for your average 16-year-old. Liam was a kind of a jerk most of the time, but sweet the rest of the time. However, his sweetness didn't make up for his jerkiness in my book. Jake was the only character who I felt was okay most of the time, but we never really got to know him well. Additionally, the town they lived in was way too sexed up. Maybe it was something in the water? Everywhere Amber went she was being groped or sexually challenged verbally, and all of the girls were sluts who had nothing better to do than go around having sex with Jake and Liam. For a realistic work of fiction, this was too unrealistic to me to be able to make sense of. Stuff like that happens once in a while, not every single time you leave your house.

All in all, there were just too many questionable things for me to be able to overlook and bring this book together into a cohesive story. Those things mentioned above were the major things, and if that had been it I would have been able to overlook it to some extent, but there were many more minor things as well that I'm not going to take the time to list. Sigh. Like I said, a lot of potential. Please don't let this review stop you from reading this book. There have been many 4 and 5 star reviews, so maybe I was just being too picky, or maybe this book just wasn't my taste. Whatever the case, happy reading!


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'll have to continue debating whether or not to give this one a try, Sheri. While reading is a personal thing and stories affect every reader differently, the issues you note seem very pertinent. I think I'd be bothered by the same things. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brandee! I actually seem to be in the minority on this, as this book has some rave reviews. If you read it, let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete