Sunday 14 October 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons WhyThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I listened to the audio of Thirteen Reasons Why, and I recommend that over reading the book. The audio was done by two narrators, a male for Clay and a female for Hannah. The way it was read it was like we could hear Hannah's tapes the same way Clay did. It brought the reader deeper into the story than just reading alone would.

I love Clay. The author was fantastic at his conveying emotions and feelings, and he is just an overall nice guy. I love Hannah too. She seemed so sweet but sad. The things leading up to her suicide seem small as single events, but add them all together and they cumulated to drive her into depression and despair. I think the thing that really made this book great was that the characters seemed so real. Hannah could be the girl sitting alone at the back of the diner while you are messing around with your friends. She had such an ordinary life, but somewhere along the way things started going wrong. She represents all the girls (and boys) who are somehow overlooked in life.

I love how the author had 13 stories on 13 tapes but was effectively able to weave them all together. He also showed how small, seemingly insignificant actions can have huge effects. The author was able to put so much emotion in this story, from happiness and joy to pain and sorrow, so be prepared to cry...


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment