Saturday 29 September 2012

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)Summer Knight by Jim Butcher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is my very favorite wizard/private eye ever. In Summer Knight, Harry is mourning Susan and having a rough time of it. He's also got other things to deal with, faeries namely. It seems that Harry just cannot catch a break. He has some people on his side, though, like the werewolves who I have grown to love, and Murphy who I also love, but ultimately it comes down to him.

What I really love about this book (and the series in general) is the emotional and personal development we see in Harry. Harry is just a great guy, and Butcher did an excellent job of making his character a real person for us. I also love the worlds Butcher creates. How does he come up with this stuff? Each supernatural creature has its own world and set of rules. It is completely complicated but yet drawn together to make all the pieces fit so wonderfully and completely together.

Another thing I love about this series is that the plot is constantly evolving and growing. Of course, with 14+ books in the series you have to keep changing things up to keep it fresh, but Butcher is great at throwing in surprises. He ties up the storyline from the current book but leaves you with enough questions that there is no question whether or not you are going to read the next one. I know I've said this in previous reviews, but this is officially one of my favorite series, and I am dreading coming to the end. Luckily, I am only on book #5!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment