I Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard Matheson

I Am Legend and other storiesI Am Legend and other stories by Richard Matheson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to the audio book of I am Legend.

The main character, Robert Neville, for some reason not completely known to him, is the last living man. Everyone else has either turned into a vampire or has been killed by the vampires. Robert is struggling day by day to survive while at the same time trying to figure out why he alone was not infected like everyone else.

I loved how the author made this a post-apocalyptic vampire novel (and one quite original for its time…written in 1954), but the vampires are not the main focus of the story. In fact, Robert hears them at night and hunts them during the day, but they really are in the background, at least until towards the end. The story is really about Robert and his struggles with loss, despair, loneliness, and trying to keep his humanity in a world that is no longer human.

The other short stories in this book were good also, but I Am Legend was by far my favorite.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Less Warlock by Judith Post

Q & A with Christina Weigand

Book Beginnings: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller